Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan
recalled how everyone in China noticed
his "fat avtaar", in the first of a two-part
interview.
Let’s begin with your visit to China
for PK, how was the entire experience?
It was a fantastic experience. The people
of China love Indian cinema and I had
no idea that our cinema was so popular
there. They are so enthusiastic. They
welcomed and treated me, Raju (Hirani)
and Vidhu (Vinod Chopra) with so much
love and warmth. Right from the
moment I landed in China till the day I
departed I was surrounded by fans and
they were keen to talk about my films,
the ones I have done in the past and
those I am currently working on.
Which of your films excited them enough
to watch your other films too?
The first film of mine they saw was 3
Idiots, and they loved it, so they
searched for my other films and saw
pirated versions of them. When the
films land in your lap, you will watch it
anyways, but when you put so much
effort in finding a film on different
sites it means that you are keen to watch
it. They have been putting in that effort,
that means that they are keen to watch
Indian films.
Any embarrassing moments you faced
when you met Chinese filmmakers. Did you
face a situation where they knew you but
you didn’t know them?
Ha ha ha! This is exactly what
happened. I met a few actors and
filmmakers and they had seen almost all
films of mine, from Lagaan to PK. But I
didn’t know most of them because I
hadn’t seen their films. That was quite
sad and embarrassing for me. They
were naming my films and praising my
work, but I couldn’t reciprocate because
I hadn’t seen a single film of theirs, and
I felt bad about it. They have
tremendous interest in Indian films and
it’s not only limited to my films. I was
pleasantly surprised to see that Rajji’s
(Raj Kapoor) films are still so popular
there. They still remember and
hum Awara hoon. That was simply
mind-blowing. A film that released in
India about 60 years ago is still so
popular in China was unbelievable.
Are you excited or nervous,
considering PK has got a bigger release in
China than India?
Well I am nervous and I will tell you
why. I was invited on a TV show with a
live audience of about 100 people. So the
host said that almost everyone has
already seen PK before its official
release, but I will now request them to
go and watch it again in theatres this
time. So, I am nervous about the fact
that since they have already seen the
pirated version, how many people will
actually buy tickets to watch the same
film?
The Indo-Chinese treaty, will help your
future films, especially Dangal. Are you
hoping all your films be one of the four
that China officially imports every year?
Well let’s hope so. I can’t decide that, I
can only apply. We show our films to
them and once they like it and approve
it, it gets a release there. That’s
how PK got released. I hope Dangalalso
happens to be one of them. But I would
never want the content of our films to
be drastically changed so that they get
released or showcased in other
countries.
I saw an Italian film, Life Is Beautiful. I
loved it. I don’t know the language but I
saw it with subtitles. We haven’t
suffered the Holocaust but as humans,
we identify what they must have
endured. Cinema has a universal
language. I would not like to see an
Indian version of an Italian film
because you lose the flavour. Likewise,
our films are known for their drama,
emotion, comedy and I want those
flavours and that essence to remain
intact.
"For Jackie Chan to say he likes my
work, its very humbling for me."
Jackie Chan said that he is a huge fan of
yours, how was your meeting with him?
It was amazing. He is a lovely guy.
Jackie is the biggest superstar China has
ever seen after Bruce Lee. Jackie is
popular the world over, for him to say
that he likes my work, its very humbling
for me. I met him at a film launch and
he invited me for dinner that evening.
He showed great hospitality, and is a
very warm and loving guy. I have been
a huge fan of his ever since I saw Police
Story 2. I loved that film so much that I
saw that film back-to-back in a theatre
in Bandra. He is not only a great action
hero but has an amazing comic timing
and he is a fantastic performer.
Hopefully, once we start making Indo-
Chinese films, I might get an
opportunity to work with him.
You are doing a film with Jackie,
titled Kung Fu Yoga, right? Tell us
something about it.
Well Kung Fu Yoga is a film that Jackie
is planning and it will be directed by
famous Chinese filmmaker Stan Lee,
who has directed a number of Jackie’s
films. Unfortunately, its not possible for
me to do that film. I would have loved to
do it but they are shooting it in
September-October this year and I am
focusing on Dangal right now and am
shooting it during the same months. I
finish shooting Dangal in June next year
and can only start shooting for their
film in July or August, it’s unfair to ask
or expect them to wait for me for almost
a year. That’s not right.
Don’t you even want to co-produce it and
associate yourself with Kung Fu Yoga one
way or the other?
Well it’s a good idea, I honestly never
gave it a thought. Maybe, I will think
about it. Actually, I don’t produce a film
that I don’t act in or direct. I did that
earlier but I have stopped doing it now.
The only film I am producing now is my
ex-manager Advait’s directorial debut,
that’s it.
Which films of yours has Jackie Chan seen?
Did he speak about your work? Has he seen
PK?
No he hasn’t seen PK. Actually. I didn’t
even ask him which films of mine he
has seen and liked. But I think, the way
he greeted me and invited me for
dinner, he must have seen a few films
of mime. That’s what I guess! But yes, he
has seen 3 Idiots for sure. He was very
friendly and warm. In fact, during the
first part of the function when Chinese
officials and dignitaries were
addressing their speeches, Jackie was
translating them for me.
Did you tell him how big a fan of his you
have been, and how you saw Police Story
2back-to-back?
Oh yes! I told him the entire episode
and he was smiling throughout. I told
him that I am a big fan of his work and
told him how hugely popular he is in
India.
If he offers you a pivotal role in one of his
martial arts films, will you do it? You think
learning martial arts would be a little
difficult at this age?
Of course! If the story is right and the
script is exciting and appealing enough
I would love to do it. Also, if I am
learning wrestling for Dangal at this
age, I don’t think learning martial arts
would be that difficult. I think main kar
loonga. (Smiles)
We heard that you were surrounded by
female fans in China and were even kissed
by many! Hope your wife doesn’t know
about it?
Ha ha ha! It’s very embarrassing to
narrate such incidents, but yes, I was
surrounded by many female fans right
at the airport and they welcomed me
with some kisses (laughs). Strangely,
whenever I used to leave from hotel,
there used to be about 20-25 girls
waiting to greet me and the same thing
used to happen when I returned.
Luckily Kiran wasn’t with me that time.
She was in Bangalore to celebrate her
mom’s birthday.
Will it be right to say that you are as
popular in China as Jackie Chan is in
India?
No, not really. And I am not being
modest. Jackie Chan has a massive fan
following not only in India but world
over. Yes they have seen many films of
mine and I got tremendous response
from them during my visit but I still
think I am not as popular there. People
in remote villages of India know Jackie
Chan, thanks to his action films. People
in small towns have seen the dubbed
Hindi version of his films. I haven’t
done so many actions films in my
career and I think they haven’t seen
films before Lagaan.
Which other Indian is as popular as you
are in China, today?
Oh God! This is a very tricky question
and I would really not like to answer
this one, warna naya bakheda
aur controversy create ho
jaayegi. (Laughs)
No comments:
Post a Comment